Pin curling is a technique of winding hair into a series of curls or flat waves which are
pinned in to place with a grip. The two most common techniques are barrel curls
A barrel curl creates root lift and is rolled either onto or off its base, it is pinned leaving
an open centre and can create a variety of looks.
This technique involves the curl sitting flat onto the base resulting in no body. It is
pinned across the curl leaving no open hole (see picture). This is used for short or
Step by Step: Pin Curls
- Apply product to allow the correct required hold. Take a square section which is the correct degree of movement needed.
- Hold the hair at the midpoint in one hand and roll the ends into a curl to meet the mid-section of the hair.
- Once the first loop is complete transfer to one hand and roll down on to either the root or flat depending the required result.
- Secure with a grip without disturbing the curl.
- Continue technique through the area required for movement.